The Secretary for Education and Manpower, Professor Arthur K. C. Li, today re-appointed Mr Michael Tien as Chairman of the Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR) for two years with effect from 1 July 2007.
Professor Li said Mr Tien had been an outstanding Chairman of SCOLAR, spearheading a range of initiatives to further professional development of language teachers, raise the language standards of students, and encourage members of the Hong Kong working force to hone their language skills.
Professor Li also re-appointed eight other serving members and appointed four new members to SCOLAR for two years.
"Mr Tien has been leading SCOLAR untiringly to implement the recommendations in the Action Plan to Raise Language Standards in Hong Kong published in 2003 to support the policy of biliteracy and trilinugalism."
"We need the collaboration of the education sector and business sector to raise the language standards of our students and working force to maintain Hong Kong's competitiveness. With a strong leadership and expert advice of distinguished members of different sectors, I believe SCOLAR will continue to play a pivotal role in enhancing on-going initiatives to raise the language standards in Hong Kong."
"The Government will continue to work closely with SCOLAR in listening to views of different sectors in the community to maintain quality language education," said Professor Li.
Professor Li thanked the outgoing members, namely, Dr Betty Chan, Mr Tony Choi, Dr Lau Siu Ling, and Ms Virginia Ng, for their contribution to the work of SCOLAR.
The membership list of SCOLAR with effect from 1 July 2007 is –
Re-appointed Chairman and Members
- Mr Michael TIEN (Chairman), Chairman, The G2000 Group
- Mr Stephen C. W. CHAN, General Manager, Television Broadcasting, Television Broadcasts Limited
- Mrs Shirley DUTHIE, Principal, The Hong Kong Institute of Education Jockey Club Primary School
- Ms Junia HO, Managing Director, Relybase Consultants Limited
- Dr Evelyn MAN, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Faculty of Education, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Ms NG Kit-chee, English Language Teacher, Aldrich Bay Government Primary School
- Mrs OR HO Yim-ching, Principal, Holy Trinity College
- Ms WONG Fung-yee, Vice-Principal, Fukien Secondary School (Siu Sai Wan)
- Dr WONG Pui-kwong, Associate Professor, Department of Chinese, Translation & Linguistics, City University of Hong Kong
Newly Appointed Members
- Ms Quince CHONG, Director, Service Delivery, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
- Ms Caroline MAK Sui-king, Group Specialty Retail Director, The Dairy Farm Group
- Mr SO Wai-ming, Principal, LKWFS Lau Tak Yung Memorial Primary School
- Ms Mary WONG, Service Co-ordinator (Nursery Schools), Tung Wah Group of Hospitals
- Deputy Secretary for Education and Manpower
- Chairperson of Curriculum Development Council's Committee on Chinese Language Education
- Chairperson of Curriculum Development Council's Committee on English Language Education
- Chairperson of Curriculum Development Council's Committee on Early Childhood Education
- Chairperson of Advisory Committee on Teacher Education and Qualifications or his representative
- Secretary-General of Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority or his representative
SCOLAR was set up in 1996 to advise the Government on language education issues and the use of the Language Fund.