The Secretary for Education and Manpower, Professor Arthur K. C. Li announced today (28 March) that the term of 13 serving members of the Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR) would be extended to 30 June 2003.
"Since early 2001, SCOLAR has been conducting a comprehensive review of language education in Hong Kong. The Committee released a consultation document for an eight-week public consultation on 2 January 2003," Professor Li said.
"The Committee received very enthusiastic response from the public. To allow SCOLAR members sufficient time to consider the outcomes of the public consultation exercise before arriving at their final recommendations, we are extending the term of serving SCOLAR members by three months from 1 April to 30 June 2003," he added.
Professor Li said that he looked forward to serving SCOLAR members' continued contribution to this difficult and yet essential task to further improve language education in Hong Kong.
In addition to the 13 serving members whose term will be extended to 30 June 2003, the following new ex-officio members will be appointed for the term from 1 April 2003 to 30 June 2005 to enable a more holistic approach to language education:
- Chairperson of Curriculum Development Council (CDC)'s Committee on Chinese Language Education
- Chairperson of CDC's Committee on English Language Education
- Chairperson of CDC's Committee on Early Childhood Education
- Chairperson of Advisory Committee on Teacher Education and Qualifications (ACTEQ) or representative
- Secretary-General of Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA) or representative
Cross-fertilisation of ideas, cooperation and coordination of efforts will be strengthened among the advisory bodies and organisations represented by the new ex-officio members in curriculum development, assessment and teacher education. These new ex-officio members will also have the opportunity to participate in the final stage of the language education review.
The Deputy Secretary for Education and Manpower has also been re-appointed as an ex-officio member to the Committee for the term from 1 April 2003 to 30 June 2005.
SCOLAR was set up in 1996 to advise the Government on language education issues. It also advises on the operation of the Language Fund.
Full membership list of SCOLAR is as follows:
(A) Extension of appointment for the period from 1 April 2003 to 30 June 2003:
- Mr Michael TIEN (Chairman)
- Dr Betty CHAN
- Professor CHAN Wing-ming
- Dr CHEUNG Kwai-yeung
- Mr Tony CHOI
- Ms FUNG Oi-nin
- Ms Kendra IP
- Ms LAU Siu-ling
- Dr Donald LI
- Ms Virginia NG
- Dr TSE Shek-kam
- Mrs Nancy WONG
- Ms YUNG Heung-hung
(B) Appointment of ex-officio members for the period from 1 April 2003 to 30 June 2005:
- Chairperson of CDC's Committee on Chinese Language Education, Mrs Tsui Chiang Fung
- Chairperson of CDC's Committee on English Language Education, Mr Stephen Chan Shu-ki
- Chairperson of CDC's Committee on Early Childhood Education, Ms Dora Ho Choi-wa
- Chairperson of ACTEQ, Professor Cheng Kai-ming
- Secretary-General of HKEAA, Mr C C Choi
- Deputy Secretary for Education and Manpower, Mr Chris Wardlaw