The vision of SCOLAR is to enable the people of Hong Kong, in particular, students and the workforce, to be bi-literate and tri-lingual for better learning and better life.
The "Research and Development Projects 2021-22" (the Projects hereafter) aims at generating new knowledge or filling gaps for pedagogical applications in local contexts to support the implementation of various initiatives on Chinese (including Putonghua) and English language learning and teaching in local schools. Tapping the wider pool of research expertise in the local and international arena on specific themes which are of strategic importance to the language learning/language education development of Hong Kong, SCOLAR is now calling for proposals for the Projects.
Academics of local registered organisations, statutory bodies or recognised community organisations who are specialised in teaching and/or research of language/language education are cordially invited to submit proposals for the Projects.
Priority Themes for the Call of Applications of Research and Development Projects 2021-22
The priority themes identified for the call of applications are listed below. Examples of possible research and development focuses/areas are given as appropriate. All applications must be made under one of the following themes-
- Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language pedagogy to cater for diversified needs of learners, for example,
- Teaching and learning of Chinese and/or English language of learners with special educational needs, such as dyslexia
- Learning of Chinese language of non-Chinese speaking (NCS) learners, for example,
- Chinese language and literacy development of NCS learners in early years
- Teaching/learning of Chinese language of NCS learners at different stages of schooling
- Learning of Chinese language of NCS students in/outside classrooms
- Chinese language learning or English language exposure of learners in early years, for example,
- Chinese and/or English language and literacy development of young children
- Chinese and/or English language pedagogy for young children
- Smooth transition on Chinese/English language learning from kindergartens to primary schools
- Assessment of Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language to cater for learner diversity, including NCS learners, for example,
- Assessment for learning and assessment as learning in Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language learning/teaching
- Assessment literacy of teachers in Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language learning/teaching
- Chinese (including Putonghua) and/or English language use and proficiency of working adults; for example,
- Chinese or English language proficiency of university graduates
The Themes are by no means mutually exclusive. Interrelated themes will also be considered.
Application Deadline: 5:00 pm on 15 June 2020 (Monday)
Applications should be sent to the Language Education and SCOLAR Section, Education Bureau, Room 1702, 17/F, Skyline Tower, 39 Wang Kwong Road, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon on or before 5:00 pm on 15 June 2020.
For viewing the online briefing, please click here (English version only).
- Guide to Applicants
- Application Form
- General Guidelines on Procurement
- General Guidelines on Staff Recruitment
3165 1183 (Ms Tsang)
3527 3049 (Mr Cheng)