Research and Development Projects 2024-25 – Open Call for Proposals
The vision of SCOLAR is to enable the people of Hong Kong, in particular, students and working adults, to become biliterate (in written Chinese and English) and trilingual (in Cantonese, Putonghua, and spoken English).
The "Research and Development Projects 2024-25" (the Projects hereafter) aims at generating new knowledge or filling gaps for pedagogical applications in local contexts to support the implementation of various initiatives on Chinese (including Putonghua) and English language learning and teaching in local schools.
Tapping the wider pool of research expertise in the local and international arena on specific themes which are of strategic importance to the language learning/language education development of Hong Kong, SCOLAR is now calling for proposals for the Projects.
Academics of local registered organisations, statutory bodies or recognised community organisations who are specialised in teaching and/or research of language/language education are cordially invited to submit proposals for the Projects.
Priority Themes for the Call for Applications of Research and Development Projects 2024-25
The priority themes identified for the call for applications are listed below. Examples of possible research and development focuses/areas are given as appropriate. All applications must be made under one of the following themes-
(a) Chinese or English language learning and teaching at different key educational stages for example,
- Holistic planning, implementation and evaluation
- Technology-enhanced Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language pedagogy
- Cross-curricular Chinese or English language learning
- Reading Across Curriculum (RaC) or multimodal reading
- Chinese language (including Putonghua) pedagogy to cater for diversified needs of learners
- Learning of Chinese language of non-Chinese speaking (NCS) learners
(b) Interface between key educational stages in Chinese or English language learning and teaching for example,
- Chinese or English language learning and teaching across kindergarten education and Key Stage One
- Chinese or English language learning and teaching across Key Stage Two and Key Stage Three
- Chinese or English language learning and teaching across secondary education and post-secondary/tertiary education
(c) Chinese language learning or English language exposure of learners in early years, for example,
- Emergent literacy skills of young learners
- English early writing development of young children
- Support for parents/care-givers of young children on language development/learning of young children
- Home literacy environment and language development/learning of young children
- Out-of-school literacy development or language learning of young learners
(d) Chinese (including Putonghua) or English language use and proficiency of working adults, for example,
- Multimodal literacy in the workplace
- Workplace English as a lingua franca
- Use of Putonghua of working adults in the workplace
The Themes are by no means mutually exclusive. Interrelated themes will also be considered.
Application Deadline: 5:00 pm on 28 June 2023 (Wednesday)
Applications should be submitted by the above application deadline. For details of the application procedures, please refer to the Guide to Applicants.
Please click here for the Powerpoint slides
Enquiries: 3156 1248
Please click here for the online application.
Documents for download:
Application Form (Part A and B)
General Guidelines on Procurement